September 27, 2012

Baked Apple Chips & Apple Cinnamon Water

Because I have a lot of left-overs for dinner this week, I had time to make a little fall treat - Baked Apple Chips!  These are the perfect crunchy chip to get yourself in the fall spirit, plus they're super easy to make and they leave your home smelling of cinnamon and nutmeg!

Baked Apple Chips
 Ingredients
  • 3 apples
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F
  2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
  3. In a small bowl, mix together the spices and salt
  4. Crosswise, cut off  both ends of each of the apples (no need to core apples)
  5.  Using a mandolin, or sharp knife, slice the apples as thin as possible (about 1/16 inch)
  6. Discard any seeds
  7. Transfer apples to lines baking sheets, making sure they're lined in a single layer (no overlapping)
  8. Sprinkle apples with spice mixture and rub with your fingers to work it into the apples
  9. Bake for about 30 minutes then flip them over
  10. Bake for another 30 to 60 minutes or until crispy in appearance
  11. Let cool and enjoy
 

Adapted from A Cozy Kitchen

Since I bought a plethora of apples this past weekend, I've been using them for everything imaginable - apple crisp, chips, snacks, and this great Apple Cinnamon Water.  On a side note, I really can't wait to make a Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Pie, but that will have to wait until I get my next bunch of apples.  I made a large pitcher of apple cinnamon water and have been replacing it in my fridge for a few days now.  I drink about a gallon of water a day, so this is a great alternative to spice up my water - literally!  It's also a metabolism booster which is an added plus!

Apple Cinnamon Water
Ingredients
  • 2 apples thinly sliced (the type of apple is based on preference)
  • 2 cinnamon sticks 
Directions
  1. Drop the apple slices in the bottom of the pitcher and then the cinnamon sticks
  2. Cover with ice about 1/2 way through then with water
  3. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes before serving
I've doubled the ingredients to add more flavor.  This recipe makes one big pitcher and you can re-fill the water 3 to 4 times before replacing the apples and cinnamon.  Sorry I don't have a picture of my pitcher.  By the time I thought to photograph it, I had already depleted my first batch.  Next time I remake it I'll add some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment