August 19, 2013

Fajita Seasoning

My brother had given me this large hybrid zucchini that he brought home from work.  It was so large and round that I knew it would make the perfect "boat" from some tasty, homemade fajitas.  I want to sharecwith you my homemade seasoning, since I like making my own because it's cheaper than buying the store bought packages and I can control the amount of salt and spiciness!

Homemade Fajita Seasoning
2 T = 1 packet
Ingredients
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 1 T cumin
  • 2 t black pepper
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t paprika
  • 1 t cayenne pepper
  • 1 t dried oregano
  • 1/2 tgarlic powder
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1 t crushed red pepper
Directions
  1. Stir together all of the above seasonings in a glass jar
  2. Store jar in a dark, cool place
Note: I triple the recipe and store the remainder with my spices so I always have some on hand.

Fajitas Zucchini Boats

Ingredients
  • 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; cut into small strips
  • 4 assorted baby bell peppers; cut into long thin strips
  • 1/2 an onion; cut into long thin strips
  • Olive oil
  • 2 T homemade fajita seasoning
  • 3-4 T water or chicken broth
  • 1 large zucchini
  • Toppings: cheese, avocado, Greek yogurt, cilantro
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
  2. Cut a large zuchinni in half and removed the seeded part to create a "boat"
  3. Roast the zucchini for 25-30 minutes; until softened
  4. While the zucchini is roasting, saute the onions and about 1 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat
  5. Once the onions begin to brown, add the peppers and saute until they begin to soften
  6. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken and 1 T olive oil to the skillet and cook until the chicken cooked through
  7. Once the chicken is cooked, add the fajita seasoning and water/broth; stir until encorporated
  8. Remove the zucchini from the oven, fill it with the fajita mix, and garnish with desired toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment