August 19, 2013

Fool-Proof Poached Egg

I always enjoy a nice Sunday morning breakfast with my boyfriend, Michael.  It's the only morning that I have time to really experiment with new ideas.  I decided to try my luck with a poached egg.  I enjoy them when I go out to breakfast, but have never attempted one myself.  I'd say, for my first attempt, I'm pretty satisfied.

Fool-Proof Poached Egg

Ingredients
  • Eggs
  • Water
  • 1-2 t Vinegar; white, red wine, balsamic, apple cider (optional)

Directions

  1. Add water to a medium pot until the pot is about 2/3 full
  2. Bring the water to a gentle boil
  3. Add the vinegar once the water has started boiling (the vinegar will help the egg coagulate and add additional flavor, but it could alter the final coloration)
  4. Turn down the water to a simmer
  5. Create a whirlpool with the water by swirling a spoon around the pot
  6. Gently crack one egg into the middle of the swirling water
  7. Allow the egg to cook for 3-5 minutes; until the whites settle and the yolk stiffens up
  8. If poaching additional eggs, quickly repeat the process with the additional eggs
  9. Remove the poached egg with a slotted spoon, allowing all of the excess water to drain back into the pot
    Serve immediately over a slice of toast with vegetables and salad greens, topped with salt, pepper, and hot sauce
Such a better breakfast than going out and a great start to my Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment