October 17, 2013

Skinny Egg McMuffins

Skip the McDonald’s drive through and make your own Egg McMuffins.

I’m always looking to change up my breakfasts, but don’t always have the time to stand over the stove for 10 minutes each morning.  Therefore, I’ve started making these egg muffins in large quantities.  I make a large batch on Sunday evening and refrigerate them until I’m ready to reheat and eat.

Skinny Egg McMuffins
Makes: 6 large muffins - Serving Size: 2 muffins - Calories per Serving: 164
 
Ingredients
  • 12 egg whites
  • 6 oz. ground turkey, divided
  • 3 mini sweet peppers; chopped
  • 3/4 cup mushrooms; chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups spinach; chopped
  • 1 T garlic and herb spice
  • Pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray 6 large muffin tins with coconut spray
  2. In a medium skillet, brown the meat until cooked
  3. Combine the cooked meat with the chopped vegetables and spices
  4. Divide that mixture evenly into each muffin tin
  5. Top with the egg whites
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through (if you’re using smaller muffin tins, reduce the bake time)
  7. Allow the eggs to cool for several minutes before removing from the tins
  8. Allow the eggs to cool completely before refrigerating
  9. When ready to serve, microwave for 2 minutes

Note: I like to pack mine full of goodies so I use the largest muffin tins I have which are bigger than the traditional “cupcake” size.  If you don’t have these, use all 12 of the traditional muffin tins, but reduce your cook time.

No comments:

Post a Comment