January 06, 2014

Healthy Mexican Lasagna



I apologize that I haven't shared many recipes in a while.  I love experimenting with new things, but I also like remaking some of my favorite recipes, which is what I've been doing lately.

We're in a new year and lots of people are probably looking to become healthier, I want to remind everybody that we can still enjoy our favorite foods while living a healthy lifestyle.  Mexican food is one of the foods that I can't live without.  Typically it's high in fat and carbs which is what scares people.  If you love Mexican food as much as I do, give this low fat recipe a try!

Healthy Mexican Lasagna 
Serves: 4
Calories per Serving: 252
Fat: 4.6g - Carbs: 20.1g - Fiber: 6.2g - Protein: 38.1g
Ingredients
  • 3 low carb/high fiber tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory)
  • 10 oz. pre-cooked chicken breast; shredded
  • 3/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
  • 3/4 cup drained black beans
  • 2 T homemade taco seasoning mix
  • 1 clove garlic; minced
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and spray a 6x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray
  2. Cook the shredded chicken, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and garlic for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has soaked into the chicken
  3. In the baking dish, lay one tortilla on the bottom (trimming is optional)
  4. Spread 1/4 cup cottage cheese on tortilla, 1/2 cup black beans, 1/2 of the chicken mixture, then 1/3 of the shredded cheeses
  5. Repeat the exact same steps for the next layer
  6. Put on third tortilla and sprinkle with the final 1/3 cup of shredded cheese
  7. Bake for about 30 minutes
  8. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into 4 slices 
Adapted From: Macro Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment