August 05, 2013

Acai Smoothie Bowl

Recently, I've been looking into the uses and forms of acai berries because of their super-food properties such as being high in antioxidants, fiber, and healthy fats.  As if it was destiny, I saw a post by Happy. Healthy. Life. that gave me some great suggestions.  She introduced me to Sambazon Smoothie Packs.  I was lucky enough to find the Unsweetened Acai Smoothie Pack and I can officially say that I'm hooked!

Coconut Raspberry Acai Bowl
 
serves 1
Ingredients
  • 1 frozen unsweetened acai smoothie pack, semi-thawed
  • 2-4 T unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 T coconut milk (chilled)
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
  • Toppings: shredded coconut, sliced banana, berries, goji berries, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cocoa chips, coconut milk, Spectrum Essentials Decedent Blend
Directions
  1. Blend all ingredients (starting with 3 T milk) on high speed until creamy, but still thick
  2. Add additional milk as necessary just until the mixture starts to churn
  3. Pour the mixture into a chilled bowl to prevent melting
  4. Get fancy and decorate with desired toppings
Notes
  1. Too Thin: Use Greek yogurt or silken tofu as a thickener
  2. Too Thick: Add additional liquid in small increments
  3. Chocolate Option: 2-3 T cocoa powder
It's difficult to explain the flavor.  I'd say it isn't too sweet, a little on the tart side, with hints of chocolate.  If you haven't tried it, I suggest creating your own smoothie or bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment