October 07, 2013

Apple Walnut Turkey Burger

After apple picking, I wound up with a plethora of apples.  I was looking for something different to use them with.  I've made the pies, sauces, and snacks, but I wanted something different.  I got to thinking, and came up with the idea to create a Thanksgiving themed burger.  I was skeptical when I started throwing ingredients together, but I think it turned out amazing.  You get a hint of the apple flavor, but it pairs nicely with the additional spices and toppings.  My boyfriend will attest to that because he loved his burger topped sky high with bacon, cheese, and apple slices!  


Apple Walnut Turkey Burger
Serves 2
Burger Ingredients
  • 1/4 - 1/3 lb. 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 an apple; grated
  • 2 T walnuts; chopped
  • 1/2 t tarragon
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1 T dried cranberries (optional)
Sauteed Onion Ingredients
  • 1/4 an onion; thinly sliced
  • 2 t olive oil
Optional Toppings
  • 2 T brie or goat cheese
  • 1/2 an apple; thinly sliced
  • 4 lettuce leaves or hamburger buns
  • 2 strips of bacon
Directions
  1. Combine all of the burger ingredients in a Zip-Lock bag and refrigerate for 4-8 hours to allow the flavors to marinate
  2.  Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat
  3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions
  4. Saute the onions for 6-8 minutes tender; stirring occasionally
  5. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat
  6. Form into 2 patties
  7. Grill the burger for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through
  8. Top the burgers with the sauteed onions, cheese, and apple slices

No comments:

Post a Comment