December 18, 2013

Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan

Growing up, I always looked forward to having Chicken Parmesan for dinner.  So naturally, it does rotate through the dinner cycle frequently.  I've put a healthier twist onto this recipe by omitting the flour and Italian bread crumbs and substituting them with a healthier alternative.  My boyfriend didn't notice the difference, so I consider this a healthier success!

Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan
Serves 2

Ingredients
  • 8-10 oz. thin strip chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup oat flour or 1/2 cup oats ground into flour 
  • 2 t Italian seasoning
  • 1 egg white 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup Homemade Pasta Sauce
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
  2. I a shallow bowl, combine the oat flour and Italian seasoning
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white
  4. Dip each chicken breast into the egg white then into the oat mixture then onto a baking sheet
  5. Season with additional salt and pepper
  6. Evenly distribute the sauce and each onto the top of each chicken breast
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese begins to melt (I used very thin chicken strips so my bake time was very short)

No comments:

Post a Comment