March 19, 2014

Red Velvet Protein Oat Bran

For some reason I've been in a steady rut with my morning oats.  That was until a trip to Marshal's sparked my creative buzz back to life!  I stumbled upon Red Velvet and Cream Cheese Emulsions.  These emulsions are similar to extracts, but they retain more of the flavor after being baked which make them great for flavoring my oats!

Not only have I found some great new flavor combinations, but I've also changed up my base oat recipe.  I'm a volume eater, I prefer to eat a large quantity of food as opposed to a small, dense bowl.  Therefore, I've started to add oat bran to my oats.  Oat bran has more volume and contains slightly less carbohydrates but more fiber, so it does a better job at holding me over until my next meal.

With my new flavors and base consistency, I was like a little kid waiting for the cake to come out of the oven while I stood in front of my microwave waiting to sample the finished product!  The results can only be described as pure perfection!!  It was like I was actually eating a piece of cake!


Red Velvet Protein Oat Bran
Oat Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup raw old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup oat bran
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 T plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 t red velvet emulsion
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1/4 t cream cheese emulsion
  • 3-5 vanilla cream stevia drops
  • 1-2 T low fat cottage cheese
Directions
  1. Combine all of the oat ingredients in an airtight jar
  2. Refrigerate overnight
  3. In the morning, stir the mixture
  4. Microwave for 1 minute, stir again, and microwave for 1 more minute
  5. Combine all of the cream cheese frosting ingredients
  6. Once the oats are cooked, top with frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment